Made this for dinner last night, continued to snack on it, then had it for lunch today and I must say it’s equally amazing cold as it is hot! Roasting brought out the sweet, savory flavors making it the perfect late summer soup.
4 servings, 45 minute total cook time
- 2 pounds of tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2-3 mined garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbs olive oil
- basic, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine 2 tbs oil with tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic and spices and mix evenly. Spread mixture on large baking pan, two if needed. Roast until they darken, about 30 minutes.
- In a large pot heat 1 tbs oil and add onion and cook covered until very tender, 10 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and bell pepper and heat on medium until boiling.
- Pour into a food processor and pulse until well mixed, in batches if needed. Pour back into pot and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and basil to taste. Top with avocado and air with an artichoke drizzled with balsamic glaze like I did, and enjoy! It’s even more flavorful the next day, even chilled.